How to Reduce Bias in Performance Reviews
Whether you are using an interview to evaluate the potential fit of a person for a job or using an assessment to rate someone’s performance in their current job, it is important to ensure that all raters are aware of the common errors people make when evaluating people’s performance.
Types of Biases
Below, we provide some examples of performance rating errors or biases and provide some tips for how to prevent them.
|Type of Bias
|Similar to me
|Strict or Lenient
Tips for Overcomming Biases
Here are some tips for how best to overcome common biases:
- Record behavioural examples as they occur.
- Consider your behaviour or the behaviour of the person you are rating over the last 12 months and look for patterns.
- Use the provided rating scale.
- Be sure to use or consider the full rating scale.
- Check to make sure your ratings are based on what you have observed instead of what you feel or think.
- Identify any biases you may have that may affect your ratings.